Thursday, December 30, 2010

Philadelphia Hanson-Viney

Ceramic Curiosities Opens Tonight New Years Eve at 6pm-8pm







I have spent the last two years working towards a diploma of art, craft and design in ceramics at the Tasmanian Polytechnic.

I am often inspired by the weird, the grotesque and the wrong. I love things which are beautiful and horrible and bizarre at the same time. .

I am fascinated by bones for their delicate and intricate shapes as well as for what they represent as relics of life past; they can be a strong symbol of death and yet exist as an object with a beautiful form.

I became interested in “cute” representations of animals that border on the monstrous. These led me to thinking about animal manipulation such as selective breeding and genetic modification.

I like the jarring feeling of something that is adorable and horrifying at the same time. The grotesque can sometimes be loveable when it is pitiable and the cute can sometimes be grotesque when it is so exaggerated as to be misshapen.

I make some things by hand and some things are slip cast. Sometimes my pieces are made with serious work and sometimes they are made by playing around.






Ceramic Curiosities is only available for a limited time. Don't miss out on your chance to view artworks by this exciting emerging artist.



No comments:

Post a Comment